Monday, August 31, 2009

Embracing Change: What a butterfly can teach us!


As the sun began to set yesterday evening, I took a quiet walk in the park. The collective stress of a long day spent caring for two high-energy kids had taken its toll on my mind and body. The purpose of my evening stroll was to empty my mind of its clutter and noise. I wanted to switch to "rest" mode, if you will. However, no matter how hard you try, nature has its own invisible way of connecting with our hearts. You start by admiring, appreciating and enjoying the wonderful delights around you and before you even realize it; you are beginning to drift into a level of deep soul-stirring you never knew existed. The quiet lessons of life whisper in your ears once the maddening noise of your day has died down.

When I take a walk in the park, I am usually transported into a world of awe and wonder, marveling at the beauty of nature. Often times, I find myself drawn into a realm of calm questioning, why, how, what and so on. Last evening, I sat on a wooden bench at the park and watched a single beautiful monarch butterfly as it flitted back and forth tasting the sweet nectar from an abundance of delicate flowers. And my mind spontaneously began following the butterfly, thinking about how it came to be, drawing on a lesson or two from childhood science classes. The butterfly wasn’t born that way. It became what it is today, as I see it, through a carefully designed, systematic process. From egg to larva to pupa to adult, the stages are distinct and structured. Beauty does not appear out of thin air. Virtue does not just happen. It becomes!

Sitting silently on my bench, deep in relaxed thought, I began to, somewhere on some deep level, draw a parallel between the butterfly and my life. Do I allow myself to change or do I cling to old thought patterns and habits. Do I let go of the past and transition to beauty? Is there room in my life for splendor and virtue to manifest? Am I patient with myself, not seeking to rush through life, aiming to attain what only time and providence will allow at the opportune moment? Do I settle with what is OR do I look forward to what can be?

Folks, we all know that change is inevitable. Do we channel that change for the better, like that gorgeous monarch butterfly? What avenues do we allow ourselves to grow and evolve? Are there relationships and associations that drain the positivity and creativity from our lives? Do we choose to surround ourselves with those who can laugh with us, celebrate our successes and support us through life’s trials? Or are we entangled in a maze of inertia that keeps us where we are, forever, going thru’ each passing day unconsciously.

Time and tide wait for no man. Make use of today’s opportunities. Embrace the freshness and perspective that change can bring. Our lives are a manifestation of our true inner beauty and value. As uncomfortable as change can sometimes be, we must allow ourselves to be transformed within divinely guided parameters.

As I began to grasp onto all of the wisdom that little colorful butterfly birthed in my spirit, I watched it flit away till it was tiny little speck among the branches, against the silhouette of the setting sun. I walked back home with a quiet joy in heart, knowing I had a quiet conversation with nature, and in that stillness, my spirit was once again revived.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely post. And how true!Thx

    Anjali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely written!

    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change is the only constant in life; Life is roller coaster, best you out on a helmet and knee pads and RIDE it!!!! Good one MJ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post that is very spiritually inclined. You talk about the spirit and wellness which is major contributor to physical health. This post/blog makes for lovely reading. Can I subscribe to your blog? how?

    Sincerely,
    Taranda

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was an inspiring and encouraging post! Thank you for lifting my spirits.

    Regards,
    May

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! I love all your posts! This one's great and you are always so inclined to pay attention to the positive aspects of life. Great job!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this blog!!!its a great insight into the normal things, that we miss taking notice, of in life..and often take advantage

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks very useful info.
    -kavitha

    ReplyDelete