Friday, August 21, 2009

Read up! Know the facts!

The neighborhood park is my most handy refuge when the confines of the home cannot contain my little ones. A walk in the park isn't always a great experience though. My 3 and a half year old had an insect bite at the park last week. The arthropod decided to go for her left eyebrow. After a fun evening of exercise and play, we got back home and I noticed a little bump on her eyebrow and some redness. Aware of her exaggerated local reaction to mosquito bites, I decided to play it safe and gave her a dose of Benadryl that night. We woke up the next morning to a red, painful, swollen eye. A dose of painkiller, some hydrocortisone ointment and 8 hours later, it seemed not to subside one bit.

I turned to my best friend and advisor in the world: Google!! I read all you could possibly read about insect bites, kids and bites in the vicinity of the eye. Ten minutes later, I knew what to watch for: periorbital cellulitis and possibly orbital cellulitis. They are both potentially scary and could lead to grave complications.

Armed with my newfound knowledge, I decided this was not one of those things that "self-resolve". No waiting and watching. I made a quick visit to the Pediatric ER. Anushka was diagnosed: possible periorbital cellulitis!! She was started on antibiotics and the ER doctor commended me "I'm glad you came now. These things can progress pretty rapidly in a matter of hours, requiring hospitalization or a surgical procedure". Wow!! I heaved a sigh of relief as I drove back home. At a routine stop at a traffic light, I peeked in the rear view mirror to see my daughter happy and content, enjoying her popsicle as she watched the activity on a busy street.

As a mom, I knew I did what I was supposed to do. I listened to that little inner voice AND I did my homework. I was relieved and confident that I could count on my instincts.

Read up! Educate yourself! If you have a PC and an internet connection, you have no excuse!

For more on children and insect bites, check this out: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/insectbitesandstings.html

Be well!
Anita

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! How scary, am glad she's OK. Thanks for sharing. I am so glad u r writing again...miss the lovely articles you wrote in college.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this, my worst nightmare but as always, you handled it in an outstanding manner.

    John

    ReplyDelete